Update - April 2019
IL-SSA and SSA are working to defeat legislation that would require storage operators to provide income and expense data to the county assessor’s office on an annual basis. If you have not done so already, please immediately submit a witness slip here to voice your opposition to the bill. The witness slip will give you the option either include your opposition on the record, provide oral testimony at the hearing, or provide written testimony prior to the hearing.
Changes to the International Building Code Affect Self Storage - April 2019
With the support of its Code Committee, the Self Storage Association successfully pursued several key changes to the 2021 International Building Code.
- An exception has been added to IBC Section 2902.3.3 to permit an increase in the location (to greater than every other floor) and maximum distance of travel (to greater than 500 ft) for restrooms. The location and travel distance must be approved by the code official.
- The maximum allowable height of sprinklered facilities made of Type IIB materials (unprotected steel) and Type IIIB materials (noncombustible or fire-retardant-treated wood stud exterior walls and any interior construction) has been increased from 3 stories to 4 stories. The Code continues to have total floor and building square footage limits.
- Pursuant to modified IBC Section 903.2.9, storage facilities are exempt from the automatic sprinkler system requirement if: (1) the total fire area is 12,000 sq. ft. or less; (2) the combined total fire areas are 24,000 sq. ft. or less; (3) the facility is no greater than one story above grade plane; and (4) all storage spaces are accessed directly from the exterior.
These changes go into effect as they are adopted by local and state governments over the next several years. Prior to the adoption on the local and state level, storage developers can request that the code official rely on the 2021 changes as acceptable alternative methods of construction pursuant to section 104.11 of the existing International Building Code.
Please email Joe Doherty with any questions or to receive supporting documentation for these changes.
Illinois Self Storage Association Standardized Lease
Tired of spending time and money on drafting leases? Members of the IL-SSA can purchase a standard rental agreement designed specifically for self storage operators in Illinois for $295. Please call (703) 575-8000 x111 or click here to order your copy today. To be eligible for lease purchase, you must:
- Be a member of the IL-SSA in good standing (all dues paid)
- Operate a facility(s) in Illiniois and intend to use said Lease at the facility(s)
- Agree not to distribute, sell or reproduce lease agreement to or for any person or entity not entitled to use the Lease.